Queenstown Heritage Tours operate various tour activities from our base at the “Old Evans Corner Store”. Our half day tours commence at 0900 and 1330 daily.
The “Mt Lyell Underground Mine” tour, the only tour into a working mine in Australia, takes in the surface and underground of Queenstown’s famous Mt Lyell copper mine.
The “Lost Mines-Ancient Pines” tour connects with the 1890’s North Mt Lyell railway formation and into the World Heritage wilderness south of Queenstown. Travel to sites of the 1980’s Franklin river dams blockade, the Tasmanian Special timbers sawmill at Lynchford and abandoned pioneer underground mines. Sassafras tea and some Tasmanian delicacies are served in the World Heritage temperate rainforest at Bird River.
The “Lake Margaret Hydro Power” tour visits the 1914 commissioned Lake Margaret power station. Enter the power house to see the original machinery still at work, the wooden pipelines delivering water to the turbines and the village that is still intact with a look inside the village hall.
Variations and combination tours are available by arrangement.
Queenstown is a four-hour drive north-west of Hobart (256 kilometres) and a 40-minute drive east of Strahan (41 kilometres).